Hello Concert Band, Guitar, Choir, and Dhol parents,
This Tuesday night at 6pm, in the Howe music room, I am hosting a parent meeting to discuss this years’ retreat. Each year at Howe Middle, the music program offers its music students a fun, 3-day retreat at Timberline Ranch in Maple Ridge. The cost is $200, with opportunities to raise funds via our annual Easter Purdy’s fundraiser. The retreat will be June 5-7, 2019.
The retreat is meant to be a reward for all the hard work and dedication our music students give throughout the year. It is an optional event, but all students are encouraged to come if possible.
On Tuesday I will be available to discuss the retreat, as well as our fundraiser with you. If you are not able to come, please email me with any questions you may have.
If you would like to register your child for the retreat, you can do so at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/6xlqycwNDGljrkaH3
Secondly, please ensure that your child is practicing thoroughly each day. We are coming into our performance season, and it is imperative that all Howe musicians are working hard to prepare. If you feel your child needs extra help, please let me know so we can arrange a time. Homework is listed at the top of each ensemble webpage at www.mrnoftle.com. Please check that often.
Thank you, and I am looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday at 6pm!
Wow. Howe Middle Music has had an exciting start to 2019!!
First the Howe Choir wowed the crowd of choir students at our annual District Choir Day Festival, held at the Abbey Arts Centre in January. They sang beautifully and powerfully, and our guest adjudicator was duly impressed. Well done Howe Choir! Check out their performances on our school youtube channel.
Next, our very own Howe Middle Rocks! rocked the Character BC Conference at Reimer Middle on Feb. 8th. It was a great performance opportunity and audience, consisting of about 300 students and staff from throughout the district. You can also watch their performances on our youtube channel.
A sign of things to come for 2019!
We are very proud of our Howe musicians who performed during the Remembrance Day Assembly this past week. Now our focus is Christmas! Please look to your groups on the top menu for resources that will assist your practice. Good luck!
Well our retreat is finally upon us! As you prepare, please remember the following:
Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions.
As I will be away from April 20-25, I have created the above schedule for rehearsals. Please let me know if you have any questions. And yes, as you can see above, there will be an extra rehearsal/pizza party on Thursday the 26th from 10am - 12pm.
On the evening of April 30th, the guitar ensemble will be performing at our Nights of Music district event at the Abbey Arts Centre. This will be a wonderful opportunity to perform and represent our school, as well as hear some of the great music being learned at other schools. More details to follow. Thanks!
Howe Middle Music Retreat 2018
Click here to register for the retreat:
Dear Guitar, Concert Band, and Choir parents,
It’s the time of year to start preparing for our Howe Middle Music Retreat! This is an exciting and fun reward for all the hard work the musicians at Howe put in all year and for representing our school so well. Below are the details:
Howe Middle Music Retreat June 6 - 8, 2018:
Our retreat will be from a Wednesday to a Friday this year, and we are excited to be returning to Timberline Ranch! The cost to participate is $200, and details as to how to pay using our district online payment system will be forthcoming.
Easter Purdy’s Fundraiser has begun!
Students are welcome to raise their own money for the retreat by selling Purdy’s chocolate for our easter campaign. This campaign will be online only this year, and information on how to sell will be handed out today to the kids. If you have any questions, please email me.
If you would like to secure your child’s spot for the retreat please fill out and submit the form below:
We are looking forward to a wonderful retreat this year! Thank you, as always, for your great support of music at Howe Middle!
Howe Middle Music
Congratulations to my amazing students for a wonderful series of performances to end 2017!! Having such students makes me a very proud music teacher indeed. I hope each of you had a restful and enjoyable Christmas break.
We have now entered 2018, and we are hitting the ground running. Choir, Guitar and Concert Band all have new music, and playing tests are starting next week. So parents, please ensure that your children are practicing each of their instruments for 30 minutes a day. Doing so will allow your kids to feel confident going into their playing tests.
Using the play-along tracks that I provide on this website is a great way for musicians to speed up their practice progress! Ask your child if they are practicing with them.
Have a great January! We look forward to seeing all of you at our next performances.
Howe Christmas Concert Details
Hello Music Students and Parents,
You are cordially invited to attend our upcoming Christmas Concert on Dec. 21st. Please invite your family and friends, as we want a full audience for our awesome music students! They are working very hard to put a wonderful evening of music together, and I think it's going to be a lot of fun.
Here's your need-to-know list:
• The concert is this upcoming Thursday, Dec. 21st at 1pm & 7pm. Admission is free. Performing students are asked to be at the school for the evening concert by 6:15pm, with their performance dress, instruments and sheet music.
• Required dress for performing students is a white dress shirt, black dress pants, black socks and black shoes. Please let me know if this will be an issue so I can help.
• Concert attendance and participation is mandatory for music students. If you are not able to attend for any reason, please talk to me before the concert. Concert attendance and participation makes up a large part of each music student’s grade, and failure to show without my pre-knowledge and approval will put continued membership in the ensemble at risk.
• The evening concert should be complete no later than 8:30pm.
• Thanks to our wonderful Shanny Paul, we will be having Hot chocolate and cookies for sale in the foyer ($2) from 6:00-6:45pm for all those who come early!
You should be hearing lots of final practice from your kids! Feel free to use the electronic poster that is attached to send invites to those you would like to attend with you.
I am looking forward to seeing each one of you at the show!
Howe Middle Music
Hello Howe music parents,
Tuesday and Thursday are our World Tour performances this week! PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR CHILD BRINGS BACK A FILLED-OUT PERMISSION FORM TO ME TOMORROW.
We will be playing at Clearbrook Elementary on Tuesday morning from 9 - 10am, and at John MacLure and Ten-Broeck on Thursday. As we are taking over 100 students, we need 9-10 parents at each event. Please, if you can spare the time, let me know which days you are available (Tuesday morning and/or Thursday all day); just reply to this message!
It is very important that Howe musicians be doing extra practice this week to ensure that they are comfortable with and ready to perform! We will be setting up at Clearbrook on Monday night, and, for those who are singing solos, doing a sound-check.
We will have Concert Band Monday morning at 7:30 as usual. All other 7:30am and 2pm music classes are cancelled this week.
Here’s your need-to-know list:
1. The Howe World Tour 2017 will be taking place the morning of June 6th (Clearbrook Elem.), and all-day June 8th (John MacLure & Ten-Broeck).
2. On June 6th, students should be dropped off directly at Clearbrook Elementary (3614 Clearbrook Rd.) at 8:15am. Attendance will be taken there and reported back to the school. We will walk back to Howe Middle after the show, and will be back around 11am. Students can be picked up after school from Howe.
3. On June 8th, students should come to Howe Middle for 8am. We will take a bus from there for our shows that day, and will be back at Howe by 2:25pm for regular pick-up.
4. Students should wear dark pants and shoes. T-shirts will be provided and handed out at Clearbrook Elementary on Tuesday morning.
5. Students should make sure they have their instruments and sheet music for each day of performances.
6. Pizza lunch will be provided on Thursday, June 8th.
For your information, our year-end concert will be on June 15th, 7pm, at Howe Middle. We will also be doing an afternoon show on Friday, June 16th, at 1pm. All family and friends are welcome!
We are very excited for next week! Thanks for your endless support!
Howe Middle Music